Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Broke is the new Lent

Today is Ash Wednesday. The first day of Lent. Lent in the Catholic tradition, is the period of the liturgical year leading up to Easter. Lent is a time of sacrifice for Jesus and it lasts 40 days. The traditional purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer  for the annual commemoration of the Death and Resurrection of Jesus. I was raised Catholic, but I still had to consult Wikipedia for a quick explanation of the holiday. 
I am no longer practicing any religion but as a youngster I used to give up something I really enjoyed for Lent. That's the tradition. For me it was usually candy. For some it might be cursing or cheese or whatever you think will make you feel tortured while you sacrafice for the Lord and Savior. I am not giving up anything this year and have not for a while...at least not for Lent. But I realized today that I am giving up things I love all the time because of brokeness. So brokeness is the new Lent for me, and it seems to last longer than 40 days.

3 comments:

  1. If brokeness had an expiry date maybe we'd be able to take it more seriously. But at this point, when people are giving up so much everyday, you have to ask, "What else is left?" If you had a choice that would be good, then you could choose to give up heat in your house...or food for your family. You could choose to give up a roof over your head for Lent. Me...I'm giving up Oatmeal cookies for lent. It would be that or my kids. So I'm choosing the cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are broke, you're right. And broken, which sucks more. I think Lent should be about giving in to some things instead of giving up. The whole "self-denial" thing is the one thing I really don't get about Christians...especially Catholics. The clergy give up sex, marriage, and parenthood and embrace poverty because...? And protestants go on this ritual of fasting and praying...like you have to wait until lent to do it because Jesus will like you more then. I say, give in to some of the things that you've always wanted to do...and maybe you'll grow so much there won't be anything "bad" to give up. You will be living life abundantly...which is the whole reason Jesus died in the first place...but...whatever... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "litergical year"... you took me back. i haven't been to "catholic mass" in quite sometime. so you forget this like litergical year, or the nicean creed, or genuflecting, and i'm almost postive that is NOT how you spell that, but i'm too lazy to look it up.

    ReplyDelete