I wasn't sure I was necessarily as excited about the book as I was just to go to the signing/discussion on a Spring evening in DUMBO with my bf. But after Prodigy answered a few questions about the book and about his life I realized that I was genuinely interested in what I would learn about him reading his autobiography. I was no longer simply riding the momentum of my own 90's hip-hop, nostalgic hype. I was interested in the man he was today. He said a few things that made me nod and smile and urge my bf to hurry up and read it so I can dive in. (God forbid I buy my own copy).
- He talked about the importance of eating right to maintain proper health to manage Sickle Cell Anemia (that basically works for any health condition folks)
- He talked about the absurdity of wearing and rapping about iced-down medallions when the majority of his fans are struggling
- He talked about identifying the things in his life that made him angry, hurt and confused as a teenager
- He talked about his relationship with his father
- He touched on the difficulty of being married while navigating the hip hop industry and living with friends who were not in committed relationships
- He touched on how he explained to his children why he was going to jail
Ain't no such things as half-way crooks.. or half-way men.